The penis is a totally touchy organ with only a skinny layer of skin, making it at risk of cuts and accidents. Friction, scratching, and easy injuries can all lead to a cut at the penis. In this newsletter, we discuss some of the capability causes of a reduction on the penis. We additionally cowl treatment, home treatments, and when to peer a physician.
Some people select to trim or get rid of their pubic hair. Using a razor to shave pubic hair can sometimes purpose unintended nicks and cuts to the groin location or penis. A 2017 survey of adults within the United States determined that about 25% of individuals who groom their pubic hair have injured themselves in the manner. Male members are most often pronounced injuring the scrotum and penis.
Tips to lessen the risk of accidents even as shaving pubic hair encompass:
- the use of an easy, sharp razor
- wetting the hair and pores and skin thoroughly
- the use of a shaving gel or cream
- status up even as shaving and averting distractions
- Sexually transmitted infections
People who agree to sexually transmitted infections (STIs) may also develop blisters, sores, rashes, swelling, or trendy inflammation on or across the penis. Sometimes, these lesions can look just like cuts. Scratching or picking at indignant regions also can motive the pores and skin to tear.
Common types of STI encompass:
- genital herpes
- genital warts
Other signs of STIs in men can encompass:
- painful urination
- itching across the genitals or anus
- unusual discharge from the penis or anus
People with symptoms of an STI must see a medical doctor or visit a sexual health hospital. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggest that people who are sexually energetic take into account going for regular STI exams.
The pores and skin at the penis are quite thin. During prolonged or repetitive physical activities, the penis can rub in opposition to other body or tight garb elements, which can cause tears or cuts.
Examples of activities that can irritate or injure the pores and skin of the penis consist of:
- jogging and going for walks
- sexual activities, inclusive of masturbation
- sports that contain large or repetitive movements
- sports activities that involve sprinting or leaping
Cuts from friction can arise almost anywhere at the penis. Some regions, inclusive of the frenulum, are more likely to preserve these accidents. The frenulum connects the pinnacle of the penis to the shaft.
Candidiasis, which people often consult with as thrush, is a yeast contamination that occurs because of the overgrowth of a fungus called Candida albicans. Although yeast infections are much more likely to expand within the vagina, they can also affect the penis.
Symptoms of a yeast infection on the penis can include:
- patches of purple, indignant pores, and skin
- itchiness or a burning sensation
- white discharge below the foreskin, which may additionally have an unpleasant smell
- The pink patches of inflammation may every so often resemble cuts. Scratching affected areas may additionally result in small cuts or tears within the pores and skin of the penis.
Factors that could increase the threat of yeast contamination at the penis consist of:
- now not drying the penis well after washing
- being overweight
- having a condition that can weaken the immune device, together with HIV or diabetes
- excessive sweating inside the groin vicinity